what it's all about..

this blog contains bits and pieces of life i encounter during my roles as a mother, teacher, wife, and a citizen of the world..

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Take the eyes of a child and enjoy the world


            For a child, everyday is an adventure.. There are infinite possibilities for everything. Should I choose this or that? Should I do this or that? Looking at my son I sometimes feel that my life isn’t as exciting as his. Why shouldn’t it be? We share the same world. We even live in the same house, for crying out loud.
            Whenever I take a walk with my son, he always stops at intervals to pay attention to small things, be it a dead bug, a dry stick, or some water in a gutter. And most of the time, I will try to stop and appreciate those things as well.
Is it easy? Nooo.. When I am in a rush, those observations of this wonderful world will become an annoyance. I will sometimes say to him, ‘Leave it be. It’s dirty..’ or, ‘We don’t have time for this’. But that doesn’t stop him to pause and pick or ask me things.
You may think that he’s simply a boy who doesn’t listen to his mother. Maybe, maybe.. but I’d like to think that he feels that the mundane activities such as going to the office or going to school are and can be as exciting as those little things.
So what’s the moral of my babbling? Maybe it’s this: in life there are things that are important, or those which you can’t avoid from doing; but along the way, try to smell the flowers. Cherish little things that you can pick on your journey. Looking at the big picture of life’s journey, those little things are ones that support you and ones that sustain you when it seems difficult to move on. Cherish life and open your eyes to the world like a child does!

Key vocabulary:
Infinite      : without limits or without an end
Exciting     : making you feel very happy and enthusiastic
Mundane   : ordinary, or not interesting
Cherish      : to love someone or something very much and take care of them
Sustain      : to support someone or something so that they can live or exist

Word count : 357 words
           

No comments:

Post a Comment