what it's all about..

this blog contains bits and pieces of life i encounter during my roles as a mother, teacher, wife, and a citizen of the world..

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

When GOD created Down Syndrome children


This post is inspired by Erma Bombeck’s article ‘The Special Mother’. Erma Bombeck was an American humorist who achieved great popularity for her newspaper column that described suburban home life from the mid-1960s until the late 1990s.



When GOD created Down Syndrome children

“You’re still listening to HVN FM, the station that will surely brighten your day. This is Late Night Show with God. Next caller, you’re on.”

“Uhmm.. Is this God? First of all, let me say thank You for creating me, this earth and all the things inside it.”

“You’re very welcome. Now, what’s your question for tonight?”

“I, urmm… I just wanna ask You.. ermm.. when you decide to create babies with .. with defect, like say.. Down syndrome babies.. why, ah.. why do You do that? Is it just some kind of glitch in the whole creation system? I really don’t understand why You would create imperfection when we both know You can do much much better.”

There was a hint of amusement in God’s voice when He answered, “Surely by now you know that there are no such things as coincidence? All that I have created, all that I have planned, are there in their perfect place, in their perfect time.”

“But, God, those babies! They will not be able to fend for themselves, and even if they want to learn how, they will have to do it in a much slower pace, in a much difficult process than perfectly normal ones. Why do you let them suffer?”

“Have you ever taken a look at babies born with Down Syndrome? Have you ever watch them sleep? Always with a smile tugging at their lips. Some people say that Down syndrome children are the happiest children on earth. And for once I have to agree with My creation. Imperfect for whom? I would say that perfection is in the eye of the beholder.”

The caller persisted. “It may be so, but what about the parents? They’re the ones who will suffer even more than the babies. Think about the dads and the moms. They won’t be able to brag about their children to their friends, who, if I may add, will try to avoid them, not knowing what to say, or how to act around them. On top of them all, they will have to put so much, so much effort in raising their children. Why God?”

“Yes, I admit that there will be hard times. Much more than what parents of normal babies will experience in their whole life. There will be times when they simply want to raise their hand and quit, fully aware that they cannot. There will be times when just going through day by day will be a much easier task, for the future is too frightening to imagine. But don’t forget that I would never, never allow this to happen to them if I am not sure they’re strong enough.”

“Through raising their child they will find endless spring of patience within themselves. Because though there will be dark times, there will also be bright days, when they will hug their children and say ‘I wouldn’t trade you for anything in the world. You’re just perfect.’”

“They will cherish all the small accomplishments they children achieve that most parents take for granted. They will celebrate their children’s first step. They will cherish their children’s first word. For them there are no such things as ‘Not good enough.’”

“They will find strength in each other. Though there will be times when the weight of the situation will put a strain in their relationship, their love will mature beyond what they bargained for when they said, “I do.” For them, petty things, like not giving flowers in all the appropriate occasions, or not saying “I love you” enough will remain just that. Petty.”

“Never, never underestimate the strength of moms and dads.”

“And they will find strength in their true friends. People that may not be able to understand fully what they’re going through, but still lend their ears, their shoulder nevertheless. People who will say, ‘I’m just one phone call away. Please, please call me.’”

“And don’t you forget, I will be there with them all the way.”


This post is dedicated to Baby Keandra, who, though I haven’t met personally, have managed to open my eyes and my heart to a different perfection of God’s creation. Baby Keandra was born with Down Syndrome and a defect in the heart. He is in dire need of costly surgery. Read his story in http://adittaslim.tumblr.com/ and prepare to fall in love with this little angel. Whatever contribution can be made will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment